Geoff Stratton - Austin, TX - (530) 220-5469 - email@example.com
Systems administrator, database developer/administrator, and web programmer from bare metal to CSS.
- Linux and Unix systems administration
- Database administration and programming
- CMS deployment and development: WordPress, Drupal, Joomla!, Rails, Django, Plone
- Windows systems administration
- Markup languages: XHTML, HTML, XML
- Data interchange formats: JSON, LDIF, MARC21
- Web application frameworks and CMS: WordPress, Drupal, TextPattern, Joomla!, Django, Rails, Zope, Plone
- Version control: Git, SVN
- IDEs: NetBeans, Eclipse, Visual Studio, PyCharm, WingIDE, Xcode
- Operating Systems: Windows 9x, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, Server 2003/2008; Debian/Ubuntu/Mint, Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS, SUSE, Solaris, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Mac OS X
- Databases: Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server, SQLite, MS Access, Visual FoxPro
- Security tools: UFW/iptables, pf, Fail2ban, Snort, Samhain, OSSEC, Nessus, nmap, Wireshark
Senior Software Developer, Office of Admissions, University of Texas at Austin (2016-Present)
Technology liaison in a multi-platform environment in the University of Texas Office of Admissions:
- Maintain and extend multiple Drupal 7 and WordPress instances including security, backups, and synchronization between dev, test, and production environments for web sites totaling millions of page views per month.
- Maintain and extend C#/ASP.NET applications built on the Ellucian Recruiter/Microsoft Dynamics CRM platform, used for communicating with prospective UTexas recruits and scheduling campus events.
- Maintain and extend Django/Python applications for accepted students using internal Vagrant-based virtual machine setup.
- Assist in building and deploying marketing communications and texts to incoming students using responsive design strategies.
Independent Web Hosting and Development, http://www.geoffstratton.com/ (2011-Present)
- Systems architect and developer responsible for all aspects of independent custom web hosting and development business: marketing, billing, procurement, systems administration and development, data backups and redundancy, and customer service. Currently hosting 11 paid web sites that serve up to 3,500 unique visitors per day.
- Technologies used for infrastructure include:
- Operating systems: CentOS, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu
- Web servers: Apache 2, Nginx
- Virtualization: Xen
- Databases and libraries: MySQL and MariaDB, PostgreSQL, SQLAlchemy for ORM, PDO
- Email: Postfix, Dovecot, SpamAssassin, Amavis, ClamAV, SquirrelMail, RoundCube
- Performance: Varnish, Pound, Memcached, Redis, APC, Zend OPcache, PHP-FPM, FastCGI
- Task Queueing: Celery/Flower
- Backups: BackupPC
- Version Control: Git
- Security: UFW/iptables, Fail2ban, Snort, Samhain, OSSEC
- Monitoring: AWStats, Munin, Nagios
- CMS/Web Frameworks: WordPress, Drupal, Joomla!, Django, Rails, Zope, Plone
- Build custom web sites and applications using a variety of tools: WordPress, Drupal, PHP/MySQL, jQuery, Modernizr, Django, Java/JSP, and ASP.NET/C#.
- Configure servers, IIS, Apache/Tomcat, Spring, MySQL and SQL Server as required.
University of California, Davis, Davis, CA (2005-2014), http://www.ucdavis.edu/
Lead Web Developer (Contract), Humanities, Arts and Cultural Studies Academic Cluster (2012-2014)
http://langlit.ucdavis.edu/ | http://hip.ucdavis.edu/ | http://arts.ucdavis.edu/
- Act as Linux systems administrator, database administrator, and webmaster for 25+ Drupal 6/7 web sites, multiple Zope/Plone installations, multiple WordPress and TextPattern installations, multiple Red Hat, CentOS, Debian, and Ubuntu servers, a pfSense border firewall, and the OTRS help desk system.
- Configure servers, IIS, SQL Server, Apache, Ngnix, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Postfix, Dovecot, caching and performance enhancement tools, and network security systems as required.
Bibliographic Databases Coordinator, Shields Library (2011-2012), http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/
- Administer the Library’s primary bibliographic database and Integrated Library System, an Oracle 9 system (Aleph) storing millions of records that track all aspects of library business including circulation, finance, and personnel. Perform data import, export and reporting as required.
- Complete updates to the main Library web site, online catalog, Unix and Linux servers, internal MySQL databases and internal applications as required.
- Convert and analyze data in multiple formats, including XML/XSLT, Unicode, csv, .xls/x, .mdb, .doc/x, delimited and the MARC21 bibliographic format.
Software Developer/Systems Administrator (Languages & Literatures, 2006-2011), http://langlit.ucdavis.edu/
- Perform all aspects of IT management for Languages & Literatures as needed, including tier 1 help desk support; computer purchasing, installation, and repair; network administration and security auditing; systems administration and security auditing; custom applications development; and web site development and maintenance.
- Support a highly diverse, multicultural, and multilingual user base, including the setup and repair of non-English computing devices and the development of multilingual web sites.
- Administer Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora Core, CentOS, Red Hate, FreeBSD, Windows 2003/2008 and Mac OS X servers and workstations for approximately 300 departmental users.
- Deploy and maintain services including iptables, pf, Apache, Postfix, backuppc, Squid, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Nagios, Nessus, Active Directory, DHCP, XMPP, Plone, Zope, and Xen.
Web Developer, Shields Library (2005-2006), http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/
- Perform updates to Microsoft Access, Oracle and MySQL databases and the library's ColdFusion and Samba servers.
- Write bash and Perl scripts for file maintenance and web page generation using common utilities including vim, sed, find, grep, and rsync.
Senior Data Services Analyst
First American Real Estate Solutions, Sacramento, CA (2003-2005), http://www.firstam.com/
- Without supervision, prioritize the generation of weekly, monthly, and annual statistical real estate products, in electronic and printed formats, for over 600 customers across the United States.
- Develop Visual FoxPro applications for automated data sorting and repair, and use FoxPro and Microsoft Access to query Microsoft SQL Server databases and generate custom reports.
- Use Access and Excel to develop project tracking methods for use by employees and management and prepare performance reports for executives.
- Assist with the development and testing of a customer Web site housing report data; authoring HTML, VBScript, ASP, XHTML, and CSS in compliance with current W3 standards.
- Assist with collecting and auditing data to ensure completeness and accuracy.
University of California, Davis
Dates attended: 1994-1998
Degree earned: BA
Major: English Literature, Minor: Computer Science